The Collegiate Church in San Candido, known by the public as “the cathedral”, is the most significant Romanesque sacred building in the Eastern Alps. Construction work began around 1143, when the Benedictine monastery became a college of canons. During this period, San Candido became an important place of pilgrimage and flourishing commercial centre. The chapter houses were built, and around 1280, the collegiate church was generously extended until it gained its current form. The tower was added around 1320.