In the shadow of the venerable old monastery church, another structure reveals to be no less rich in history – with an exterior that has remained unchanged since the 16th century: the Monastery Museum. Its eastern section dates from the 10th century and is part of the Benedictine monastery founded in 769 by Tassilo III, Duke of Bavaria, which was converted into a collegiate monastery around 1143. Originally built around 1385, in the 16th century the western wing was given the look which it preserves until this day. A number of ornaments created by painters from the school of Bressanone/Brixen around 1550 frame the windows. The ground floor rooms were used as pantries, while the upper floor chambers served as an assembly hall, library, archive, parlour and office of the librarian and schoolmaster. Today the building houses the museum, archive and library.